The Ripple Effect
A Sermon in preparation for the Ripple Effect Summit hosted by Harvester Reformational Church, Cape Town, by Apostle Aje Pelser
“Ripples become powerful waves.”
A ripple effect is a situation in which, like ripples expanding across the water, when an object is dropped into it, an effect from an initial state can be followed outward incrementally. Audiopedia: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4QB85Ksbks
Ripple effect is often used colloquially to mean a multiplier in economics.
In sociology, it can observed how social interactions can affect situations, not directly related to the initial interaction.
The concept has been applied in computer science within the field of software metrics as a complexity measure.
Gravitational wave astronomy
Birmingham researchers have, as part of a global collaboration, confirmed a major prediction of Albert Einstein’s 1915 theory of general relativity through the detection of gravitational waves.
Professor Alberto Vecchio and Professor Andreas Freise have been at the forefront of developing a new field of gravitational wave astronomy.
“Gravitational waves are ripples in space-time. When objects move, the curvature of space-time changes and these changes move outwards (like ripples on a pond) as gravitational waves. A gravitational wave is a stretch and squash of space and so can be found by measuring the change in length between two objects.”
And in charitable activities, where information can be disseminated and passed from community to community to broaden its impact.
“I alone cannot change the world, but I can cast a stone across the waters to create many ripples.” Mother Theresa.
Droplets that became ripples, and eventually turned into powerful waves in the Bible.
1. Moses was dropped into the Nile and his life drew a nation out of slavery and transported them through an ocean into their promised land.
Exo 2:10 And the child grew, and she brought him to Pharaoh’s daughter, and he became her son. So she called his name Moses, saying, “Because I drew him out of the water.”
2. Ruth clung to Naomi and become the ancestor of David who changed the way we worship forever and set up the most powerful kingdom Israel ever saw. Ruth 4:17
3. Solomon asked the right question and it rippled into wisdom and prosperity for his nation.
1Ki 3:9 Therefore give to Your servant an understanding heart to judge Your people, that I may discern between good and evil. For who is able to judge this great people of Yours?”
1Ki 3:10 The speech pleased the LORD, that Solomon had asked this thing.
4. Daniel made some decisions with his friends, not to be defiled by the food and ways of Babylon and it rippled through empires until his nation was restored to their land.
Dan 1:8 But Daniel purposed in his heart that he would not defile himself with the portion of the king’s delicacies, nor with the wine which he drank; therefore he requested of the chief of the eunuchs that he might not defile himself.
5. Ezekiel saw visions that rippled through e Bible into the book of revelation when John rebounded the same visions, for us to understand God’s plans and purposes for His Church.
Eze_1:1 Now it came to pass in the thirtieth year, in the fourth month, on the fifth day of the month, as I was among the captives by the River Chebar, that the heavens were opened and I saw visions of God.
6. Mary’s broken jar of precious perfume prepared Jesus’ body for burial and sent a ripple effect wherever the Gospel was preached since that day she was Jesus’ feet with her life savings and her tears. Spikenard contain elements used for mummification historically.
Joh 12:3 Then Mary took a pound of very costly oil of spikenard, anointed the feet of Jesus, and wiped His feet with her hair. And the house was filled with the fragrance of the oil.
Mar 14:8 She has done what she could. She has come beforehand to anoint My body for burial.
Mar 14:9 Assuredly, I say to you, wherever this gospel is preached in the whole world, what this woman has done will also be told as a memorial to her.”
7. Jesus’ sacrifice of his blood, dropped into the history and rippled out into all the corners of the earth, bringing remission for our sins for all time and reconciling man to God and God to man, as well as mankind altogether in His powerful message of forgiveness and love.
Heb 9:22 And according to the law almost all things are purified with blood, and without shedding of blood there is no remission.
8. Jesus’ sent out his disciples who poured out their lives as s drink offering, ripping through society and eventually history, turning the world upside down wherever they went preaching and teaching and healing, just like Jesus did, but now multiplied exponentially.
Mar 16:19 So then, after the Lord had spoken to them, He was received up into heaven, and sat down at the right hand of God.
Mar 16:20 And they went out and preached everywhere, the Lord working with them and confirming the word through the accompanying signs. Amen.
9. The outpouring of the Holy Spirit on the Day of Pentecost rippled through Jerusalem, disrupting traditional religion and activating an age old prophecies that lay dormant until Peter the apostle said “This is that prophesied by the prophet Joel…”
Act 2:16 But this is what was spoken by the prophet Joel:
Act 2:17 ‘AND IT SHALL COME TO PASS IN THE LAST DAYS, SAYS GOD, THAT I WILL POUR OUT OF MY SPIRIT ON ALL FLESH; YOUR SONS AND YOUR DAUGHTERS SHALL PROPHESY, YOUR YOUNG MEN SHALL SEE VISIONS, YOUR OLD MEN SHALL DREAM DREAMS.
Act 2:18 AND ON MY MENSERVANTS AND ON MY MAIDSERVANTS I WILL POUR OUT MY SPIRIT IN THOSE DAYS; AND THEY SHALL PROPHESY.
10. Eventually the whole world was filled with the love of Jesus and His good news about the kingdom of heaven. IN Ephesus apostle Paul taught daily in the school of Tyrannus until the whole of Asia heard the word and God worked unusual signs and wonders.
Act 19:9 But when some were hardened and did not believe, but spoke evil of the Way before the multitude, he departed from them and withdrew the disciples, reasoning daily in the school of Tyrannus.
Act 19:10 And this continued for two years, so that all who dwelt in Asia heard the word of the Lord Jesus, both Jews and Greeks.
11. A prophecy in 2021 said God would cause a ripple to move out from Cape Town throughout the world. From here, we have by God’s grace reached 124 nations in missions, 144 nations on YouTube and continue to expand a global network of autonomous churches who are centred on Christ.
Here comes the ripple effect!