A Series about the Holy Spirit by Apostle Aje Pelser
Preached at Harvester Reformational Church, Cape Town
“If you are loving me with a divine and self-sacrificial love, the commandments which are mine you will keep.
And for myself, I will ask the Father, and another Counsellor of the same kind as I am He will give to you in order that He might be with you forever, the Spirit of the truth, whom the world is not able to receive because it does not see Him with discernment and does not know Him experientially.
But, as for you, you know Him experientially, because by your side He dwells, and in you He shall be.
I will not leave you helpless. I come to you.” Wuest’s Greek Translation of the New Testament.
The Seven Spirits of God in Revelation are omnipresent and infuse the entire revelation about Jesus and His Church, the Bride of Christ. The ‘seven Spirits’ are in fact seven facets of the Holy Spirit, which can be derived from the following prophecy by Isaiah:
Isa 11:2 The Spirit of the LORD shall rest upon Him, The Spirit of wisdom and understanding, The Spirit of counsel and might, The Spirit of knowledge and of the fear of the LORD.
In order to worship God in spirit and in Truth, to operate in the spiritual realm to bring Glory to God along the lines of the truth principles set out in the New Covenant – that is what spirit and truth means to us – we need a great amount of counsel – that’s why Jesus gave us His Holy Spirit as a gift – a Counsellor like Me!
In the passage we have a few access points to the Spirit Life from our glorious Helper, Counsellor, Comforter and Friend the Holy Spirit!
Access Points to enter a Spirit Life
1. Love is the first access point to a Spirit Life. Knowing God loves you and only wants the best for you is essential to entering a spiritual life. The type of love God has for you is divine and self-sacrificial and so it is reasonable that we reciprocate.
2. Jesus’ commandments – the words that I speak to you are spirit and they are life!
John 6:63 It is the Spirit who gives life; the flesh profits nothing. The words that I speak to you are spirit, and they are life.
Keeping the Words of Jesus is enabled by the Spirit of God too – he reminds us of all that Jesus said and does not even speak on His own authority.
John 14:26 But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all things that I said to you.
John 16:13 However, when He, the Spirit of truth, has come, He will guide you into all truth; for He will not speak on His own authority, but whatever He hears He will speak; and He will tell you things to come.
3. Relationship with the Father is an access point to a spirit life. Jesus did nothing unless the Father showed him. The Father sends the Spirit on Jesus’ request. There is perfect submission between the Trinity, the Father, Son and the Holy Spirit.
4. Receiving the Counsellor – the Holy Spirit as your source of Counsel is an access point to a wonderful spirit life. He won’t force you but waits till you ask.
5. Seeing the Spirit with discernment opens up a spiritual walk of faith like the world can’t access. The gift of discernment is higher than daily discernment by the ord. But even the discernment of Christ in the scriptures is through the spirit of prophecy.
Rev 19:10 And I fell at his feet to worship him. But he said to me, “See that you do not do that! I am your fellow servant, and of your brethren who have the testimony of Jesus. Worship God! For the testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy.”
The Word of God is a discerner – that is for your daily discernment:Heb 4:12 For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the division of soul and spirit, and of joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.
The gift of discerning of Spirits is another level of discernment:
1Co 12:10 to another the working of miracles, to another prophecy, to another discerning of spirits, to another different kinds of tongues, to another the interpretation of tongues.
6. Knowing the Spirit experientially is an access point to the way of life God intended – a spirit life.
1Co 2:11 For what man knows the things of a man except the spirit of the man which is in him? Even so no one knows the things of God except the Spirit of God.
1Co 2:12 Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the Spirit who is from God, that we might know the things that have been freely given to us by God.
1Co 2:13 These things we also speak, not in words which man’s wisdom teaches but which the Holy Spirit teaches, comparing spiritual things with spiritual.
7. Indwelling Spirit opens up the spirit life. In the Old Testament there were few who had the anointing. In the New Covenant the Holy Spirit dwells with in us and we are the temple of the Holy Spirit. External versus internal truth and position.
Come upon versus baptize.
Act 2:1 When the Day of Pentecost had fully come, they were all with one accord in one place.
Act 2:2 And suddenly there came a sound from heaven, as of a rushing mighty wind, and it filled the whole house where they were sitting.
Act 2:3 Then there appeared to them divided tongues, as of fire, and one sat upon each of them.
Act 2:4 And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.
8. Jesus comes to us through His Spirit:
Joh 14:23 Jesus answered and said to him, “If anyone loves Me, he will keep My word; and My Father will love him, and We will come to him and make Our home with him.
There is a part of our lives that requires the full counsel of God. All we have to do to access the fullness of God’s Spirit is to ask because God is ready to fill you with His Spirit without measure. What is blocking the overflow of living water? Let God construct a network of pipes that will channel His living water where it is needed in you and then through you to others.
That is the spirit life the world needs from us!
If you need to be baptized with the Holy Spirit we can pray for you by laying on of hands as the book of Acts shows. You don’t have to go in and out of a spirit led life, you can live there! All these access points into a spirit life are yours if you believe in Jesus Name!