Overcoming Heresies with Doctrine
By Apostle Aje Pelser
Preached at Harvester Reformational Church, Cape Town
Keys to unlock the chains of heresy:
1. Identify the False.
2. Focus on Christ and see what they say about Jesus.
3. Check their fruit – you will know them by their fruit.
Marks of Heretical People:
1. Live for the Flesh not the Spirit
2. Follow their own ways
3. Their end is destruction
Check these three Categories of Doctrine:
1. Check the Source – is it based on Jesus Christ?
2. Check the substance – is it of faith according to the New Covenant.
3. Is it sound doctrine based on New Covenant and creation realities?
To counter heresy we need apostolic doctrine:
The function and instruction that sets the doctrinal teaching and learning process in order, is called doctrine. This doctrine is induced by a delegate and ambassador of the Gospel of Jesus Christ, with miraculous power sent to eradicate heresy and establish the truth. The Truth is a Person, the Lord Jesus Christ.
Here are some marks of a heresy that you can watch for to remain in the Truth.
1. Heresies come through false prophets
2. False prophets and their heresies are among the people
3. False Teachers and false prophets work hand in hand.
4. False destructive heresies are brought alongside true doctrine – because they cannot refute it they like to cohabitate with the truth to veil the lie.
5. False heresies deny the Lord who purchased them. Paul the apostle would always preach Jesus Christ and Him crucified – he is not ashamed of the Gospel of Christ. A heresy will be ashamed of the suffering element of our Saviour. They promote self and tell you that you can do it. It avoids the realities of Christian life and persecution and writes them off as failures. God uses persecutions and suffering to work an eternal weight of glory on our part.
6. Apostle Paul asked the believers not to be ashamed by his suffering and his chains: heretical thinking scoffs at our suffering and sacrifice for the Gospel.
7. False heresies bring upon themselves swift destruction.
However, many are the troubles of the righteous, but he Lord delivers him out of them all.
8. Licentious conduct – casting off of restraint – where there is a lack of apostolic and prophetic vision people cast off restraint – See proverbs.
9. Heresies operate in the sphere of covetousness – they want what you’ve got and they criticize others who are successful.
10. Fabricated words come through in their teachings – words that have no meaning in themselves but to capture the weak in their craftiness – that is why we need the fivefold ministers to equip us so that we do not fall for their tricks and fancy sayings. Jesus words were simple enough for a child to understand. His pictures and parables were revealed to those who were willing to deny themselves. Heresies work on people on boost themselves.
Eph 4:11 And he gave the apostles, the prophets, the evangelists, the shepherds and teachers,
Eph 4:12 to equip the saints for the work of ministry, for building up the body of Christ,
Eph 4:13 until we all attain to the unity of the faith and of the knowledge of the Son of God, to mature manhood, to the measure of the stature of the fullness of Christ,
Eph 4:14 so that we may no longer be children, tossed to and fro by the waves and carried about by every wind of doctrine, by human cunning, by craftiness in deceitful schemes.
11. Judgment and destruction await those who propagate heresies and those who blindly follow the blind. Blind leaders of the Blind – both falling into the ditch. Matthew 15:14. Those who bother only with outward cleanliness and don’t clean the thoughts of the heart, are blind. Those rituals can’t cleanse the conscience. This is part of the reformation Jesus achieved.
12. Noah is mentioned as a proclaimer of righteousness. Just like in the times of Noah we are entering the final phase of the world’s iniquity and the final destruction of the enemy. Who’s on the Lord’s side? Sodom and Gomorrah is a sign of things to come for those who resist God in this time. This world will be destroyed with fire and then the new heaven and the new earth will be ready for us who believe and have obeyed His voice.
Here are more marks of heretical people:
1. Those who proceed on their way
2. Hot pursuit of the flesh
3. Depraved nature
4. Sphere of passionate desire of that which defiles
5. Disdain authority
6. Presumptuous - Definition of presumptuous - (of a person or their behaviour) failing to observe the limits of what is permitted or appropriate.
8. Do not tremble when defaming those in exalted positions
9. Irrational creatures
10. Instinctively uttering blasphemies concerning things about which they are ignorant
11. Destined for capture and destruction
12. IN their act of destruction they are destroyed
13. Thief has come not but to steal, kill and destroy.
14. Jesus has come to give us life and life in abundance.
15. Receiving unrighteousness as the hire for unrighteousness
16. Luxurious living in the daytime – when they should be working
17. Moral blemishes
18. Disgraceful blots
19. Reveling in their deceitful cravings while they feast wit you – as if nothing is wrong
20. Having eyes full of an adulterous – unable to cease from sin.
21. Catching unstable souls with bait
22. Having hearts that are completely exercised in covetousness
23. Children of a curse
24. Abandoning the straight road they go astray
25. Following the road of Balaam who placed a high value on the hire of unrighteousness. Rebuked for his lawlessness – the inarticulate beast of burden having spoken in a man’s voice, restrained the insanity of the (false) prophet.
26. Springs without water
27. Mists driven by a tempest – always storms – never peace
28. For whom the blackness of darkness has been reserved.
29. Utter extravagant things that are actually futile
30. Alluring by means of cravings of the flesh
31. Wanton acts – ordering their behaviour in the sphere of error
32. Promising liberty or fake freedom but actually slaves of corruption
33. Dogs returning to their own vomit
By whom a person has been overcome like this, to that person he is enslaved.
Heresies: Thayer’s Greek Definition G139
1) act of taking, capture: e.g. storming a city
2) choosing, choice
3) that which is chosen
4) a body of men following their own tenets (sect or party)
4a) of the Sadducees
4b) of the Pharisees
4c) of the Christians
5) dissensions arising from diversity of opinions and aims
Part of Speech: noun feminine
To overcome heresies we need sound doctrine:
Doctrine G1319 didaskalia
From G1320; instruction (the function or the information): - doctrine, learning, teaching.
In Acts 2:42 we encounter ‘apostle’s doctrine’:
Apostle G652 apostolos
From G649; a delegate; specifically an ambassador of the Gospel; officially a commissioner of Christ (“apostle”), (with miraculous powers): - apostle, messenger, he that is sent.
In the New King James the word is sometimes substituted for message. However, that allows people to ignore the importance of doctrine. One often hears Christians brush off the concept of doctrine saying that it causes division. This is an attempt by the Spirit of Anti-Christ to bring about a one world order that allows for people to honour any form of higher power. To ignore apostolic doctrine is to open the door for heresy.
Apostle Paul clearly tells his apostolic protégé Timothy to continue in
1Ti 4:6 If you instruct the brethren in these things, you will be a good minister of Jesus Christ, nourished in the words of faith and of the good doctrine which you have carefully followed.
To Titus he says:
Tit 1:9 holding fast the faithful word as he has been taught, that he may be able, by sound doctrine, both to exhort and convict those who contradict.
Here are some scriptures in the Old King James that will ensure you have sound doctrine:
Deu_32:2 My doctrine shall drop as the rain, my speech shall distil as the dew, as the small rain upon the tender herb, and as the showers upon the grass:
Job_11:4 For thou hast said, My doctrine is pure, and I am clean in thine eyes.
Pro_4:2 For I give you good doctrine, forsake ye not my law.
Isa_28:9 Whom shall he teach knowledge? and whom shall he make to understand doctrine? them that are weaned from the milk, and drawn from the breasts.
Isa_29:24 They also that erred in spirit shall come to understanding, and they that murmured shall learn doctrine.
Jer_10:8 But they are altogether brutish and foolish: the stock is a doctrine of vanities.
Mat_7:28 And it came to pass, when Jesus had ended these sayings, the people were astonished at his doctrine:
Mat_16:12 Then understood they how that he bade them not beware of the leaven of bread, but of the doctrine of the Pharisees and of the Sadducees.
Mat_22:33 And when the multitude heard this, they were astonished at his doctrine.
Mar_1:22 And they were astonished at his doctrine: for he taught them as one that had authority, and not as the scribes.
Mar_1:27 And they were all amazed, insomuch that they questioned among themselves, saying, What thing is this? what new doctrine is this? for with authority commandeth he even the unclean spirits, and they do obey him.
Mar_4:2 And he taught them many things by parables, and said unto them in his doctrine,
Mar_11:18 And the scribes and chief priests heard it, and sought how they might destroy him: for they feared him, because all the people was astonished at his doctrine.
Mar_12:38 And he said unto them in his doctrine, Beware of the scribes, which love to go in long clothing, and love salutations in the marketplaces,
Luk_4:32 And they were astonished at his doctrine: for his word was with power.
Joh_7:16 Jesus answered them, and said, My doctrine is not mine, but his that sent me.
Joh_7:17 If any man will do his will, he shall know of the doctrine, whether it be of God, or whether I speak of myself.
Joh_18:19 The high priest then asked Jesus of his disciples, and of his doctrine.
Act_2:42 And they continued steadfastly in the apostles' doctrine and fellowship, and in breaking of bread, and in prayers.
Act_5:28 Saying, Did not we straitly command you that ye should not teach in this name? and, behold, ye have filled Jerusalem with your doctrine, and intend to bring this man's blood upon us.
Act_13:12 Then the deputy, when he saw what was done, believed, being astonished at the doctrine of the Lord.
Act_17:19 And they took him, and brought him unto Areopagus, saying, May we know what this new doctrine, whereof thou speakest, is?
Rom_6:17 But God be thanked, that ye were the servants of sin, but ye have obeyed from the heart that form of doctrine which was delivered you.
Rom_16:17 Now I beseech you, brethren, mark them which cause divisions and offences contrary to the doctrine which ye have learned; and avoid them.
1Co_14:6 Now, brethren, if I come unto you speaking with tongues, what shall I profit you, except I shall speak to you either by revelation, or by knowledge, or by prophesying, or by doctrine?
1Co_14:26 How is it then, brethren? when ye come together, every one of you hath a psalm, hath a doctrine, hath a tongue, hath a revelation, hath an interpretation. Let all things be done unto edifying.
Eph_4:14 That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive;
1Ti_1:3 As I besought thee to abide still at Ephesus, when I went into Macedonia, that thou mightest charge some that they teach no other doctrine,
1Ti_1:10 For whoremongers, for them that defile themselves with mankind, for menstealers, for liars, for perjured persons, and if there be any other thing that is contrary to sound doctrine;
1Ti_4:6 If thou put the brethren in remembrance of these things, thou shalt be a good minister of Jesus Christ, nourished up in the words of faith and of good doctrine, whereunto thou hast attained.
1Ti_4:13 Till I come, give attendance to reading, to exhortation, to doctrine.
1Ti_4:16 Take heed unto thyself, and unto the doctrine; continue in them: for in doing this thou shalt both save thyself, and them that hear thee.
1Ti_5:17 Let the elders that rule well be counted worthy of double honour, especially they who labour in the word and doctrine.
1Ti_6:1 Let as many servants as are under the yoke count their own masters worthy of all honour, that the name of God and his doctrine be not blasphemed.
1Ti_6:3 If any man teach otherwise, and consent not to wholesome words, even the words of our Lord Jesus Christ, and to the doctrine which is according to godliness;
2Ti_3:10 But thou hast fully known my doctrine, manner of life, purpose, faith, longsuffering, charity, patience,
2Ti_3:16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
2Ti_4:2 Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine.
2Ti_4:3 For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears;
Tit_1:9 Holding fast the faithful word as he hath been taught, that he may be able by sound doctrine both to exhort and to convince the gainsayers.
Tit_2:1 But speak thou the things which become sound doctrine:
Tit_2:7 In all things shewing thyself a pattern of good works: in doctrine shewing uncorruptness, gravity, sincerity,
Tit_2:10 Not purloining, but shewing all good fidelity; that they may adorn the doctrine of God our Saviour in all things.
Heb_6:1 Therefore leaving the principles of the doctrine of Christ, let us go on unto perfection; not laying again the foundation of repentance from dead works, and of faith toward God,
Heb_6:2 Of the doctrine of baptisms, and of laying on of hands, and of resurrection of the dead, and of eternal judgment.
2Jn_1:9 Whosoever transgresseth, and abideth not in the doctrine of Christ, hath not God. He that abideth in the doctrine of Christ, he hath both the Father and the Son.
2Jn_1:10 If there come any unto you, and bring not this doctrine, receive him not into your house, neither bid him God speed:
Here is a good key to use when discerning spirits:
1Jn 4:2 By this you know the Spirit of God: Every spirit that confesses that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is of God,
1Jn 4:3 and every spirit that does not confess that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is not of God. And this is the spirit of the Antichrist, which you have heard was coming, and is now already in the world.
Let is continually set the captives free from the heresy that enslaves and watch our own lives while we are at it. It is important to allow the Holy Spirit to make little course adjustments all the time in our walk of faith. It is called a lifestyle of repentance and we remove the stigma of deliverance by allowing the Deliverer to finish the work He started in our lives until we have erased every trace of sin and heresy and replaced it with accurate apostolic doctrine found in the New Testament. In so doing we work out our salvation with the Lord with fear and trembling so that the devil has no foot I the door, and that we can live powerful godly lifestyles where godliness with contentment is great gain.