A Sermon by Apostle Aje Pelser
Preached at Harvester Reformational Church, Cape Town
Processes that will develop you into your top form for God.
We recently studied how God anointed Jesus and by comparison, how God has anointed us individually. Understanding how God anointed you prepares you to take on the form that He desires. That form will be the container for the anointing to be poured out in the precise moment at the right place.
Sometimes the container of anointing needs to be broken but the timing will be perfect and it will have an everlasting effect, like Mary who broken the costly jar of perfumed spikenard, an embalming ointment, on the feet of Jesus. While the people around the table complained that it was too much, Jesus understood that it was for His burial.
I have seen how God has used costly precious gifts and talents to His glory at the precise moment and place too. I have witnessed how people have given up their dreams and ambitious, sold their possessions to take on the form that God showed them so that they can fulfil His will and reach as many people as possible, or just the people He requires them to reach.
God is extravagant that way.
My parents are a good example of talented couple who were in the top form of their acting and business careers. Dad was being fast tracked for management in Stannic and mom was getting roles without auditioning – ask actors today if that is a sign that she was good.
Then God took them and showed them to take on the form of musical and dramatic missionaries that would go wherever He told them and would sell everything they possess to do so. They took on the form a Pastors and cared for the flock. But God had other forms for them to take too in different times and in different places.
What I have learnt and what Holy Spirit is revealing to you today, is that you are who you are in God’s eyes, the way He made you. Once that identity is secure, He can have you take on the form that will best serve His purpose and fulfil your full potential in His kingdom. However, we are not defined by that form forever.
Php 2:5 Let this mind be in you which was also in Christ Jesus,
Php 2:6 who, being in the form of God, did not consider it robbery to be equal with God,
Php 2:7 but made Himself of no reputation, taking the form of a bondservant, and coming in the likeness of men.
Php 2:8 And being found in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself and became obedient to the point of death, even the death of the cross.
Php 2:9 Therefore God also has highly exalted Him and given Him the name which is above every name,
Php 2:10 that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of those in heaven, and of those on earth, and of those under the earth,
Php 2:11 and that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.
1. Have the mind of Christ. Develop it through ongoing mind renewal through the word of God.
Know you are a son and daughter of God. That assurance will keep through the form acquisition and ensure your stability through the outpouring of your anointing.
2. Don’t worry about your reputation. Some will say your life is a waste but to those being saved it will be precious and Jesus will honour you. Not loving your life unto death, is part of the process of overcoming the accuser who knows the former forms you may have taken in a former time of your life before you were called with a high calling by Jesus Christ. Rev. 12:11
3. God might even have you come in the likeness of men, in other words, will ask you to adjust your likes and dislikes to accommodate people in order to reach them. This is not compromise but wisdom as Apostle Paul said: ‘Being all things to all men.” Learn to preach the Gospel according to the interests of the people you are reaching. I like preaching the Gospel according to Cricket or surfing, rugby or anything that triggers my inner witness.
4. Our appearance to men might not make sense but remember who you are and the appearance will not define you. That is something others see, not who you are inside.
5. Humbling yourself by becoming obedient is a major process that is often underestimated in Christian circles. There is often an overemphasis on power and anointing and a total neglect of Jesus’ most important power twins of character meekness and humility. Meekness is your strength under God’s control. Humility is a sane estimation of yourself according to your measure of faith.
6. Death is just a form change for us who believe. Living life without the fear of death makes us powerful and dangerous to the enemy. Faith is the victory that overcomes the world.
Dying daily to our old nature and living unto Christ releases resurrection power. Even in the small deaths we die daily Jesus is seen. When we die to our right to retaliate in anger and wait on the Lord for direction and vindication, it releases His love and power into the situation and God and his legions of angels fight for you.
A boy kept cursing me once, He was from powerful family but he had cheated in a match and I had caught him out. For a few days he would shout after me and accuse me of things because I had obviously embarrassed him and he wasn’t used to teachers or coaches standing up to him and his family. I had the higher moral ground though and ignored him.
A year later he got a terrible disease and I had to pray for him. He made it through the ordeal and I was glad he did. But he never cursed me again.
Another young man cursed me and my church. He would make up metal songs about our church, Harvester Church! He would sing it to his friends and they would stand around me laughing. I really did not know what to do. He would get his friends to prank me on camps and so on.
Once we were caving as a group and we went through a tight tunnel and he started getting claustrophobic. There were 5 guys in front of us and several behind us and we were crawling on our bellies through a cave tunnel near Oudsthoorn, a region in South Africa known for miles of underground caves. He panicked and I was there for him to calm him down with the help of the Holy Spirit. After that he also left me alone.
The question today is what form has the Holy Spirit you to take on? That will be the container for your unique anointing.
In Digital Media we talk about codec that carry different formats of video. Different cameras have different file formats, some are very high resolution like 4k and other lower made for quick streaming purposes. Sometimes you even have converters that take the information and change it to make it visible to a larger audience at a rate they can download.
This makes sense to me that God will take all you have and place it in a form that your generation can access. The process of denying yourself, picking up your cross and following Jesus, is very much like taking on the form God shows you in order to show the love of God to your world.
The good news is you are not stuck with the form he asks you to take on for the sake of serving others, because he knows our identity and will honour you just like He honoured His Firstborn son Jesus Christ!
The glory always outweighs the suffering and God is a tremendous rewarder of those who diligently seek Him. Let Him show you now…